Man Shot in the Foot After Slapping Police Officer for Ordering Him to Wear a Face mask - SALIENT TIMES ONLINE

Man Shot in the Foot After Slapping Police Officer for Ordering Him to Wear a Face mask

Share This
Agency Report

A 30-year-old man in Arua has reportedly accused a police officer of firing live bullets at his foot for not wearing a facemask.

Bazil Asindua, a resident of Ediofe village in Arua City is nursing a wound he sustained on his foot after being allegedly shot at by a police officer.

Asindua alleges that the Police officer stopped him together with his brother, Mawa, at a roadblock at Manibe Sub County headquarters on Tuesday morning while on their way to Terego for the funeral of their late father.

Asindua identifies the police officer as Odong who is attached to the National Forestry Authority - NFA.

He claims Odongo stopped them and ordered that they handover a numberless motorcycle his brother Mawa was riding before accusing them of not wearing facemasks.

Asindua explains that a deep heated argument broke out leading the police officer to slap him on the face twice, at this point he says out of anger he was forced to also slap the police officer back on the face too.

He says Odong first fired a bullet in the air before he reportedly aimed at him shooting his right toe.

“After slapping me twice, I also had to slap him and we were later taken to sit under a near-by Mango tree at the Sub County, but I realized the kilo of meat and some other food items we were carrying home fell by the road side,”

Asindua told officers from the Professional Standards Unit on Wednesday.

He went on to explain that he tried to get up and pick the items from the roadside but Odong cocked his gun and shot a bullet in the air.

He reportedly turned his gun and aimed at him and shot his right toe.

Asindua says Odong then ordered them to sit under a Mango tree and told his two colleagues to kill them if they got stubborn.

The two were later picked up by a police patrol and driven to Arua CPS where they were locked up , however, Asindua was later taken to Arua Police health center.

Evans Vuata, the Commandant of Professional Standards Unit - PSU in West Nile on Wednesday, acknowledged the police officer used excessive force and urged Asindua and his brother to report the matter to the Criminal Investigations Directorate.