Igboho cancels Lagos rally after attack on his house - SALIENT TIMES ONLINE

Breaking


Thursday, 1 July 2021

Igboho cancels Lagos rally after attack on his house

By Our Correspondent
Sunday Adeyemo, a Yoruba youth leader popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has cancelled the rally scheduled to take place in Lagos state following the attack on his house.

Two persons were said to have been killed while cars and valuable items were destroyed during the attack on his house in the early hours of Thursday.

Igboho has now said the Yoruba Nation mega rally planned for Saturday will no longer hold.

He made the announcement while speaking with BBC News Pidgin.

Igboho claimed that the attack was carried out by operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigerian army.

He said he was taken aback by the attack as he had not committed any crime to warrant being targeted. He added that the planned rally was meant to be a peaceful one.

“I fight for my family because Fulani bandits killed my family and raped them,” he said.

“Government refused to do the right thing for my family. That is why I am fighting for them, so I am surprised. They killed two people during the shooting, and they destroyed my property and my vehicles.”

Earlier, an umbrella body of Yoruba groups, Ilana Omo Oodua, had said the rally would go ahead despite the attack on Igboho’s house.

Banji Akintoye, the leader of the group, had said: “We want to confirm again that the Pro-Yoruba nation rally scheduled to hold on Saturday, July 3rd, in Lagos will proceed as scheduled.”

Similar rallies had been held in some parts of the south-west by Yoruba self-determination groups, with Igboho at the forefront.